Monday, December 2, 2013

Progress on Celtic Soltice

I have been a veteran of all of Bonnie Hunter's mysteries. She has never failed to keep my interest, surprise me with the layout and LOVE her color sense.


I had a few extra batik units from the Eye Fooler quilt I made last year. And since I am a waste not want not quilter, I am going to begin with these units.


I took apart 30 (thirty) shirts for the sleeve swap on Yahoo last month. So I had 30 collars. I could not bear to throw them away. So I was able to harvest a whole bag of strings from the collars. And what better way to use them up but to make some piano key units. They will end up being a border somewhere. I make lots of units and never know what I will do with them. But I do use them up. And while I was searching for fabric for this current mystery, I found a whole large plastic container of finished string blocks. All shapes and sizes. WHOHOOO!!!!


This is the backside of a quilt I found hanging in the closet waiting for quilting. It was my first and only attempt at trapunto. Three layers of batting and a flannel back make for some tough hand quilting. I did use dissolving thread for the initial sewing before assembly. Then all I have to do is quilt around the feathers. PAIN IN THE PATOOTIE by machine. I gave up. And am now doing the final quilting by hand. It is not too hard. It is quite warm to be under while quilting and Lucky has found a new past time. Chewing on my left hand under the quilt. I love her so much!!!


Here is the front of one of the twelve blocks....


 Green lavender and white...
And when I am too tired to sew I crochet. This was a free pattern. Well the technique only called diagonal crocheting. Love it. When you get to the middle you start decreasing and the rows get shorter and shorter!!!!


Blue yellow and white.... 


And here is Lucky in another of her favorite places to play. There is no chance of her suffocating as there are several large holes in this bag. I swear she thinks she is invisible when she is inside the bag. She sure livens up this old house!!!!

XOXOOXOXO Subee

6 comments:

Judy Dietrich said...

I had a cat about the color of lucky without markings---they called it champagne. He used to snuggle down into my batting pile---actually in between the batts---then would open his blue eyes & that was all you could see!! It was in my basement & scared the heck out of me the first time he did it!! I was always expecting a mouse or something down there--not the cat!!

Tami C said...

Lucy is way too funny! I guess it's the same thing that cats do with boxes. My Popeye goes nuts over any new boxes that come into the house!

Vic in NH said...

Your batiks are so pretty! Lucky is lucky to have such a devoted owner.

Mary said...

Your Celtic Solstice will be very scrappy with all those pieces. Glad to see you on the Link-up today.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh Sue - I LOVE all your ideas, and energy, but this post? LOVE that cat fooling around in the bag -- tooo cute.

Andee said...

You have been busy girl!