Thursday, December 23, 2010

Waste Triangles are "GOLD"!

 I made two Pink Smokey Mountain Stars  quilts from Bonnie Hunter's website. It is a free pattern and a breeze to make because Bonnie has a way of breaking down steps to be totally doable no matter how large a quilt is.
I double sewed all the corners and saved these Waste Triangles.
These are my Clue#5 triangles. I used 44 different neutrals.
I kept them in stacks and will distribute them evenly in the Mystery Quilt, Roll, Roll Cotton Boll.
 I added some sashings to the "Odds & Ends" topper. I will keep this small and it will be one of the Kittie's quilt. As you can see the black/white one is still on the design wall. Hubby and I cannot agree on the borders. I respect his decisions but there are times I do NOT agree. So this quilt will have to sit and be analyzed until I decide what is needed. I do have a nice container FULL of black/white waste triangles. I can almost see them dancing around the quilt.
 Another loaf of bread was a total success! I found vital wheat gluten and milled flax seed in the baking aisle. I added these to the basic bread recipe and this loaf was so big I was afraid it would open the lid of the bread machine. And I did not even use the biggest recipe.
I made french toast with this loaf and also made garlic bread with it. The loaf is way too big for hubby and I to consume. So today I am trying a smaller loaf. But as I keep peeking into the machine the loaf does not seem to be working as great as this loaf did. I hate cooking but was beginning to feel excited about successes. These failures are depressing me!
Success with the bread! It rose high and beautiful and is the right size for us! I did the smallest loaf size and it is still quite large. I have another loaf baking. I will give one to each of my two daughters tomorrow on Christmas Eve. We lost our (mother-in-law) their Grandma a year ago this November. Iole made bread every week. Being Italian and a fantastic cook, I could never replicate her bread making. I know there will be tears when I gift these two loaves. But they will be good tears.
Merry Christmas to all of you!
Some of the triangles need to be sliver trimmed.
A process I detest and have been so spoiled when I use the Easy Angle Ruler.
Sliver Trimming is never needed.

10 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I find that if I press my HST with a really hot, DRY iron they don't get distorted at all and rarely need trimming, other than cutting of the dog ears.

That looks like one humongous loaf of bread....but oh, the smell of fresh baked bread.!! :)

Linda said...

Bread looks good to me!! Blocks are so pretty. You've gotten so much done! A Merry Christmas to you and your family!

JudyCinNC said...

Wow Subee - that is a montrous loaf of bread. I can understand why you went to a smaller loaf. We love homemade bread so much that we dare not buy a machine. You sure have been getting a lot of quilting done. Good for you. Have a wonderful Christmas.

hared said...

Merry Christmas Subee! Thanks for sharing a little of your life with us. Reading your blog makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Even with the EZ angle I'm still trimming HST's. I'm sure it's because my BLQC has an inconsistent 1/4" SA. I blame the snap-on presser feet which are not tight and wiggle ever so slightly.

BTW - Merry Xmas Sue. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and that Santa stops by later.

Gail :)

Teri said...

Love how your things are turning out. I can never get my bonus triangles to be 2" unfinished. I must sew my second line just a smidge too far. Looking good. I finially found the time to sew clue one and two.

Idaho Quilter said...

I just found your blog, and enjoyed it very much.
I have been working on the Quiltville Mystery too. I am so envious of your HST, I only have 300 and it seems like I have been at them for days.

Marilyn said...

I have found with my bread maker that I don't need as much gluten as the bread machine recipes recommend. And I generally only use the gluten for whole wheat bread or breads made with added goodies (oats, flaxseed, etc.) Nice quilts.

julieQ said...

I have a whole box of those golden baby triangles!! I love them...your bread looks delicious!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

I love my bread machine!! In fact I am trying out a new bread this morning. It is called "Adamana Bread" I love trying out new breads. I use the 1 1/2 pound loaf. Yes they do grow big and we usually only need one slice each for breakfast. I much prefer homemade bread over the store bought stuff!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea