Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Strip Twist in black & white


My "funk" seems to be over. I am a winter weather lover. I love the cold and staying inside. I just was not myself since I fell three weeks ago. The scab finally fell off and the knee seem ok!!!! WHOOHOOO!

I woke up at 2:30 this morning to watch the snow and to sew. I cut a bunch of black/white fabric strips and dug out my Bonnie Hunter's Strip Twist pattern for a fast and satisfying little quilt to make. As I was sewing I decided I need to make two of these for my two dear grand daughter's whose birthdays fall this March. (one is on MY birthday!) So I just cut a bunch more strips and made twice as many sets as I needed. The block quarters are not sewn together yet. I could not resist throwing them up on the design wall to see the "action" in these easy yet graphic blocks.



Below is my Pineapple quilt with it's borders added and the backing is the tan hanging behind it. I am mailing this to my friend at Quilt Hollow for some fantastic quilting magic. I will wait for the snow storm to abate before mailing.


And here is the progress on the Deer Quilt. It is now a nice 96" X 96". I still need to add 12" Log Cabin blocks around the edge. This will make it 120"X 120". Tell me...is that too large for a King size quilt????????????


Blizzard 2011 as they are calling it now. Somehow we have been lucky and the ice has stayed south of us. We have 4" on the ground that came from round #1 of the storm this morning. Round#2 is in full blast  now this afternoon...with a forecast of 5-12" tonight with blowing snow. We have tons of groceries ( I am making a turkey tomorrow!) batteries and candles and of course quilts to keep us warm if the power goes out.
I am hoping the power stays on since the power company really took out many trees in this neighborhood. So sad...I will miss the shade and my squirrels lost some of their nesting spots. Yet if the ice does come the limbs that would have dropped on the power lines are GONE!


12 comments:

JudyCinNC said...

You sure do get things done, Subee. If you are gonna make one quilt, you might as well make two. Lol - I love watching the snow and there is no better place to watch it than while at your sewing machine glancing out the window. The birds and squirrels will keep you entertained and before you know it you have two quilts. I love Mary's work at Quilt Hollow also.

Katie said...

Love the black and white. It's very effective!

Elaine Adair said...

Oh Sue, please let me/us know when the quilting is done on that beauty Pineapple Quilt. I even have some of that border fabric. Mine is near done and I'm at a loss as to quilting ideas. Can't wait to see what yours will look like. I LOVE the chocolatey look to it - so very warm and cozy. Great job.

Glad you are feeling more like yourself. 8-))

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I love Bonnie's Strip Twist pattern and your version is very striking. Somewhere I have a top all finished. All Thimbleberries fabrics. Really should dig it out and quilt it.

Here in northeast NE we seem to be outside the major storm area. Yesterday & today we may have gotten 3". Kind of hard to tell with it blowing around so much. The cold and wind and dangerous wind chills are enough to deal with.

Cheryl Willis said...

120 is the largest I can do on my machine. I have a king bed and 120 fits with a nice hangover. That way we don't fight for the covers! cw

Anonymous said...

My son would flip to see that black and white quilt! He has been after me to make one for a very long time. Recently I quilted a client quilt that was black and white with a variety of red stars that he fell in love with...I see in my future I will be making one for him.
Stay toasty...brrr...and you like Winter!! I'm hoping to open some windows again. :-) Talk soon! (appreciate the shout out)

Linda said...

Love the pineapple quilt! Can't wait to see it quilted!

Dionne said...

Subee, I am in awe of your pace! I love your strip twist. I've never tried a black and white. For some reason they seem to intimidate me. The pineapple block is one of my favs, and yours is fabulous. 120 x 120 will be a nice LARGE quilt. But it will fall nice, look beautiful and be perfect for your friend. You have a heart of gold!
Cheers,
Dionne

hared said...

The Strip Twist is awesome! I'm doing a red/black/white one for a graduation gift right now. I'd love to do a b/w one as well. We're pretty much snowed in here in mid-Missouri, so I've had the past two days at home to SEW!! Will get RRCB top finished today I believe.

Patti said...

I made a 117 x 117 last year, it tends to be a little long in length. But the width is just fine, I have to "tuck" and need all the extra covers I can get or someone will holler.

Anonymous said...

Your pineapple quilt is lovely--is it from Bonnie's designs or is it a traditional pineapple. I like the fabric you chose for borders too.

Gail :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Nice progress on some amazing winter projects at your house! Mary will do an amazing job on that Pineapple, it will be out of this world!! Your Strip Twist is terrific in B&W, too.