Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I am done with Thangles.

I am done with Thangles. Guess I could call it the summer of the Thangles. The process is super easy to sew. The results are dead on...but then so are my HST I make using the EZ Angle ruler.
The reason I am done with the Thangles is the paper removal process. I mean geezzzz...after pinning the fabric to the paper and sewing and then cutting apart and then removing the paper and then the pressing...it takes too much time!! But of course it did not help that I had 648 of these to do. I should have broke it up into small chunks.  But I also wanted a real good mix of the colors.

I decided to make the Medallion Quilt instead. It is in the book entitled:
 Friendship Triangles authored by Edyta Sitar for Laundry Basket Quilts.
(http://www.laundrybasketquilts.com)
It is so much more simple to put together then the Constellation Throw pattern. Here are only 8 rows of the 14 needed to show you.
I really like the random blue and green and red that pop up occasionally.
Scrappy is great!!! And I only need 420 units instead of 576. So I still will have some "seed" for another small project.


The quilt I was going to make did not happen. I had issues with the unit layouts. Even after I resorted to my graph paper and trying to draw out the pattern. I really wanted to make the Constellation Throw. But stopped after 4 block quarters.
I have them sewn together and will make a place mat or something from it. I do love the colors.



 Nice full basket of HST
 I do the Thangles in chain piecing. It is really a lot of fun. I really like lining things up and keeping all the color together.
Also I have moved my sewing area back around so I am sitting straight on to the picture window again. I have so much more room it seems.

 And use an open toed foot if you have one. It makes the lines easier to see.
I had a fellow quilter friend make me an ironing pad for the TV tray. Love it!! And I am no longer putting water in my irons. Bonnie Hunter is so right. A spritz of water on stubborn fabric wrinkles works great!!!
XOXOXOXO
Subee

7 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Oh gosh I've got about 750 made and still going. havent decided on pattern so I just keep on making.

regan said...

Beautiful! And I love your 'seed' for the next quilt comment.....that's perfect!

Janet O. said...

That is a lot of HSTs!
I can always count on seeing a well-organized work area on your blog. One of the reasons I don't show my work area. : )

Kats Studio said...

Beautiful quilt and I love the colors. I have some of those rolls. I forgot what I was going to do with them. I need to find a tutorial on that.

Paula, the quilter said...

Your irons will last longer without water. I've not used water in ages.

Browndirtcottage said...

Yes, I know what you mean about the thangles.....I'm kind of on the fence about them though!!

....LOL....I was scrolling down and when I got to your little turquoise basket I thought "what is she doing with that basket of rocks?" Silly me, it was your fabric cutouts!!!!!!

Everything looks great!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Bonnie usually is right LOL! I got rid of all my Thangles last year. I was totally burned out on using them and I use the Easy Angle pretty much exclusively now. Another thing Bonnie was right about LOL! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!