Monday, March 26, 2012

I was only along for the ride!

I bought this quilt kit at the Gathering of Quilters two weekends ago. I knew I was going to add my own Civil War reproduction fabrics to it. As you can see by the pattern cover photo I only needed 24 blocks. I made 114...I could not stop. So suddenly the quilt took on a life of it's own and made it's own design decisions.

I was only along for the ride.

 And what a fine ride it is turning out to be. I am loving how the blocks I made are playing so nice with each other. I made a few negative (LDL) blocks for sparkle. But the majority were all positive (DLD) blocks. And a few of the fabrics were not Civil War reproductions. But their color was right so they came to play too.

 I had to stop to make dinner for DH but this is what I got done with today.

 And I had only two blocks left over. Spooky right? I love how "fate" or "serendipity" plays here at my home. It is like having an angel on my shoulder.

 I did have to do a little sliver trimming on the 9-patch blocks. Some of my 1 1/2" squares were a thread or two too large. That is fine with me. I just had to trim a few. It makes for a much nicer assembly when the units are the same exact size!

 This was my careful beginning this morning...I was not sure if I would like it.

 All the rows need sewn together but I am in love with this quilt. I can see some applique' on a wider type border. I am determined to learn to do applique'. I love the look but have never tried it. As I said I am determined. And after watching that DVD on Needle Turn I think that is the type of applique for me. There seems less prep work involved.

 And as I was sewing the rows together I was using Our Bonnie Hunter's Leaders & Enders technique at the end of each row. I worked from my Cheddar Bowtie box since I sewed all the Kona Snow L&E's last week. And I did get over my OCD obsession to only use that Cheddar thread to sew the Cheddar Bowties with. Otherwise it can NOT be a L&E project!!!!

ALL you Janome users: have any of you bought and used the newer pink Cherry Blossom bobbins? They are soooo pretty.
(I do not like the box they came in...too fragile.)  And two boxes arrived cracked in the mail! I did get credit for that but I am not using them. Too cheap...
The Cherry Blossom bobbins seem to be much quieter in the machine. They also feel a bit heavier than the clear bobbins.

And since quilting has taken over every aspect of my life I now put my pats of butter on my toast "on point". I just had to share that with you.
XOXOXOXO Subee

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

I just can't believe how many blocks "beyond" you made! That is really something! But I am loving that quilt, too. Good old 9-patches never let you down
And I must say, that's a lot of butter! : )

Sarah Martin said...

Wow, that is turning out gorgeous!
Why is it that CW fabrics all look so well together? Amazing but too true! An applique border would be just the thing, too...I can just see it! It's not as hard as you think. Really! Go for it!

GittaS said...

what are the colors beautiful and you were so busy.
Many greetings from Flensburg, Germany-
Gitta

SubeeSews said...

yes...I LOVE butter. It is the only "fat" I do ingest. I cannot give it up. But I did make the pats a bit too thick to get a good photo!!

Karen said...

That life of your own looks mighty good.

Grit said...

Sehr schön!!!
Liebe Grüße Grit

Debra said...

Love your nine patches and the colours look great. Your quilt is looking fabulous can't wait to see what you do next.

Margery said...

I love the effect of the negative blocks - you're right, they do add sparkle!