Friday, January 27, 2012

Blue and white Spiral Log Cabin

I cannot thank Elaine Adair (elaineadairpieces.blogspot.com) enough for her fantastic instructions to make Log Cabin blocks. I have been going crazy making blocks.
I stepped away from my usual color pallet to make this birthday quilt for Granddaughter Arika. I have always wanted to set one of these Log Cabins in a spiral. Then of course I ended up making two more rows of blocks thinking I needed the design to wind out a bit further. And of course now I think I need more blocks. But enough is enough. This would be a never ending spiral if I continued.


I have a bit of a manic type of collection of plastic containers for storing my fabrics and projects.
The urge does not stop in the sewing room. This is just one cupboard of staples that I store in pink Tupperware. There are a couple other colors in here but mostly the pink containers. Some are real deep/long and some are squatty to fit boxes behind them. As I said this is just one cupboard. The smaller empty containers for leftovers are in a large cabinet. And they are to the point of all falling out when the door gets opened. It is time for a purge in that cupboard.


 I keep my pans on the wall for connivance. And that is also a good way to make sure they are clean when they get washed. I cannot bear to see a dirty pan on the wall.


My lucky kitties got a new drinking fountain today. The old one was years old and the pump was just not able to keep the water moving anymore. And besides, it was a lavender plastic thing and I was at my wit's end trying to keep it clean. This one is stainless steel. It can go in the dishwasher too! The kitties are not too sure of it yet. DH says the water is too vigorous. But I would have to disassemble it to move the pump setting. I am going to just leave it for now. They will eventually get thirsty enough to try it. There is no splashing of the water. This one holds a gallon of water too!

XOXOXO Subee

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I've never seen a spiraling log cabin but I *really* like it!

Janet O. said...

Beautiful log cabin quilt--what a unique setting. Very clever!
Dare I admit that I actually have a cupboard that looks a lot like that one--only my lids are not all pink!
I got a giggle out of the kitty dish! So fun! And it can go in the dishwasher--wow!!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Love the spiral in your quilt. My dogs would love that water dish so much, they would play in it, and it would be empty minutes after filling it up.

Deb H. said...

beautiful!! As always. I love the colors.

Deb H. said...

Beautiful as always!! I love your colors.

Deb H. said...

Beautiful as always! Love the colors.

Lane said...

Love the quilt, Sue. I love a good log cabin and don't remember ever seeing one spiral like that before. Lane

Gail said...

Hi Subee,

Where did you find the water bubbler for your kitties. I'd like to get one for my cat.

Gail :)