DD #1's birthday is in July. Just a few months away. This year it is her turn to get a bed size quilt. She has a King size bed. I started assembling blocks into rows from a Mystery I participated in 2007!!!! A NYE mystery done by Ann Smith. I have done several of her mysteries. She is as talented as Our Bonnie Hunter of quiltville fame.
Well, to make a long story short, DD#1 repainted her bedroom. It is no longer taupe but a nice sage green. She has added Navy and Cream accents. So now the NYE blocks that are not a quilt yet do not go with her new color scheme.
Quiltvilleswap to the rescue!!!! I was not sure what I was going to do with all my green strips I received in the swap. I am still planning on trying some applique' and the greens will make great leaves. But that has not happened yet.
Then I had a "light bulb" moment. I will do a scrappy 9-patch all in greens with cream backgrounds. The alternate blocks will be hourglass blocks in cream and navy. WHOOHOOO!!!! I have a plan and only 162 9-patches to make. And an equal amount of hourglass blocks.
But first the cutting has to take place.
( I LOVE rotary cutting.)
And I love scrappy blocks.
And I have to have control even in scrappiness!
There will be no repeats of a fabric in this quilt. I cut five 2 1/2" blocks from each strip and then carefully folded them back into their respective baggies. I know...why you say...this is the OCD in me.
I have a list of all the swappers and as I cut into their strips I highlighted the list to show I used their strips.
I am not doing any strip sewing. I am using the the Hourglass units as my Leaders and Enders and making a 9-patch block in between each Hourglass.
It is working so well.
The container above is all that is left to sew together...maybe 50 more blocks.
And here is a small sample of what the layout will look like.
I am thinking 18 blocks X 18 blocks will make an 108" square quilt.
But I am thinking DD#1 may want a rectangle quilt instead of a square quilt.
Plenty of time to make that decision.
I cannot avoid posting about this quilt. DD#1 says she reads my blog. That is one reason I have been so absent about posting. But I cannot keep this to myself any longer. I want/need to share this with all of you.
So DD#1 will have to see her quilt being birthed.
I am sorry Lisa. You know I love you so very much!!!!!
Here are some of the 2007 Mystery blocks. I have enough to make a King size quilt. And it would go great in my bedroom...but I do not have time to play with these blocks so back into their box they go. And this was after I spent 2 whole days pressing them. Somehow they "slid" in the box they were in and they all looked like waves of water. I did a good pressing from the back and then from the front. And now they are back in the box. But I added a piece of batting to stop the sliding around. (I hope)
I really like the fabric I used for these blocks. And I know I have more fabric. But can I locate it? NO!!! I mean 2007 was a LONG time ago.
The fabric has to be buried very deep...very, very deep. I am glad I had the mystery clues in the box with the blocks for the possible layouts and fabric requirements.
Someday I will feel like crawling under the quilting machine frame and look for the fabric. I know it is there somewhere!!! I do have the brown batik and the RJR tan in good sized amounts in their color drawers. But I cannot locate the large scale floral I used. As I said before...I know there is more somewhere!!!!!
I swapped and mailed out a small neutral 1 1/2" swap. Easy Peasy...
The entire mailing fit into a small basket. When I do the larger swaps it takes two trips to get all the packages into the Post Office.