Friday, March 16, 2012

Using things up...

I use things up. Like small amounts of thread on bobbins, same thing with almost used up spools of thread (I save the empty spools haven't found a use for those yet), the small pieces from trimming the phone books for the Orca Bay quilt (they were 3 1/2"), batting and tons of strings from my trimming up of fabric edges.

Look at how many strings I have!!!!! Sorted by color now per Bonnie Hunter...

 What more could I want? Sunshine, a new phone book, a almost dull needle (need to use that up) and tons of strings.

 But after sewing the whole pages of strings I ended up with some short strings.

 And I had those short pages I saved...

 And here is the result of just a few minutes of sewing. Some pinks and grays for a "piano key" border for my two quilts that are still just in unit forms. More to come of course. I was just wanting to sew on something after three days of solid machine quilting. My needle needed to be used up. It was not too dull for paper piecing!!!

 I received a surprise present from one of the swappers on the quiltville swap Yahoo group. Jeanne A. sent me 44, yes 44! pink 2 1/2" strips. My goodness I am so very happy with these strips!

Yes, I am tickled pink! Thanks Jeanne!!!!!

 There are times when it is a miracle that I get any sewing done. I finished quilting the mystery quilt and then pinned up my leftover quilt. All the kitties left the mystery quilt alone. But Bess plopped down on the leftover quilt and refused to move. You know how they get! I say her name and she closes her eyes more and moans. I say her name again and she rolls over into cute position #1. I say her name the third time and she finally opens her eyes and looks as if I am asking for so very much of her. I give in and go do something else for a while. Then we go through the same routine all over again. Poor me. I have to get strict and move the quilt from underneath her. Then she tries to lay in my sewing machine chair. Good grief!

 Anyway...it took me two days but the straight line quilting is all done and it looks great if I do say so myself. But this is a quilt for the kitties...no work of art.

Here is a closeup. Love those long legged stars!

XOOXOXOXOX Subee

5 comments:

Debra said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one reluctant to disturb a cat when they're comfy. It can make quilting a challenge since they seem to be drawn to fabric related activity. Your mystery quilt turned out great love your colours.

Kathleen said...

I do love your blog so much... I an very envious of your organization and systematic approach - in my dreams I am that way... but in real life I am messy - not disorganized, but messy... and I have to sew in stolen moments, so I rarely have time to 'sew up units' like I really want to!! Maybe one day..

Janet O. said...

Oh, you are so very efficient! I feel like such a wastrel!
The quilting on your "extra" quilt looks very nice!

regan said...

I'm a saver, too! I love the piano keys borders you've made! Perfect use of those little ends! And your quilting is beautiful on the kitty quilt! Very nice!

Karen said...

You are a frugal quilter!