Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pineapple progress & freehand Baptist Fan project is finished!



Here are 36 of the 48 blocks I have prepared.
I have them on the design wall to admire. I cannot believe how small the scraps are that I am using. I am really taking a trip down memory lane with these little pieces.



I made all the blocks up to round #24. Those rounds took the smallest pieces and seemed to take more time to sew. I am not sure if this was smart or not. As I finished the blocks I generated more tiny scraps that would fit to make more blocks.
It seems never ending!
This is the mess I made as I was sewing.
What you cannot see are the large plastic containers on the floor.
I am so glad I have an understanding hubby. 

I am done with the Freehand Baptist Fans. I am sad it is finished. This was such a liberating way to quilt. No marking at all. You do need to have the quilt well basted since you work from the outside in. These blocks are from an exchange I was in. They are called Buckeye Beauty blocks.
Here is a close-up of my quilting.
Thanks Bonnie (www.quiltville.com)
My daughter bought me this grass. I so love the grasses when they get big and sway in the wind. I sure hope it lives for me. 

15 comments:

Janet said...

The pineapples are gorgeous--love them. The fans turned out very nice. Love to read about your quilts and cats. I don't comment often, but I'm sick today and this is keeping me entertained. lol I have no ambition to do anything else at the moment.

Millie said...

Beautiful quilt and fan quilting.

imagrandma2five said...

Sue your quilt is gorgeous and love the baptist fans!! Would love to meet you sometime. I'm from New Haven too!

Hannele said...

Your pineapple blocks sparkle and shine! They are gourgeous :)

Kay said...

Your blocks are beautiful! Now if I could just get brave enough to try the babtist fans.

Bren said...

The Pineapple quilt is gorgeous!!
I am in love with the Baptist Fan quilting. I plan to give that a try very soon!!

Helen in the UK said...

Your quilting looks FANTASTIC :)

Helen in the UK said...

Your quilting looks FANTASTIC :)

Dionne said...

Holy schmoley (is that even a word) your pineapple quilt is looking AWESOME! It's amazing what you've done with it, with such small pieces. I'm right and completely impressed!
Cheers,
Dionne

Kim said...

Wow you have been busy......the handquilted fans look absolutely fabulous......how many hours do you think it took you to do the top?

The pineapple blocks are so yummy.......about those scraps...it doesn't ever end and I reach a point where I have to throw them out or I can't get into my sewing room!

Is that grass an annual? It looks like purple fountain grass which will not take a freeze....sorry but check the label or try to find it on line to check.

Happy Sewing

scraphappy said...

Your pineapple blocks are just stunning. It is amazing what beautiful blocks can come out of the most humble of scraps. The little bit do seem to keep reproducing though, no matter how many get used up. Your baptist fan quilting looks fantastic. I wish I had more patience for hand quilting, it must be soothing.

scraphappy said...

Your pineapple blocks are just stunning. It is amazing what beautiful blocks can come out of the most humble of scraps. The little bit do seem to keep reproducing though, no matter how many get used up. Your baptist fan quilting looks fantastic. I wish I had more patience for hand quilting, it must be soothing.

julieQ said...

Such gorgeous quilting, I love the texture that is added with your work. Wonderful pineapple blocks!!

Wonky Girl said...

Wow, the pineapple blocks are just wonderful. That quilt is on my somedaytodolist.
The buckeye beauty blocks and fan quilting are awesome. I want to try once my machine is set up for FM quilting.
Oh, I want some of the fancy grasses to grow out back. Have to wait until chickens are fenced or they may eat it! I've read some varieties freeze to ground but come back.

Reenie said...

Wow..both quilts are gorgeous!! The pineapple quilt is just spellbinding..you can't take your eyes off of it and the buckeye beauty makes you just want to snuggle in it! Great job on both!