Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lots more string blocks made!!!!!

I know I usually have many more photos to show you. I do not know why I did not click more pictures. But I am totally happy with this week's sewing results. That almost dull Organ Titanium needle actually made it through all these string blocks. It is now just starting that dreaded "ticking" sound.
I really need to get the King of Greens quilt sewn together. DD#1's BD is at the end of July. I have all the quilting done. That was the hard part. But I could not stop making these string blocks.
They are such an addictive block. It warms my frugal heart. I made these blocks from fabric that some quilters throw away!!!

 I now have 45 brown string blocks made. That huge bag of strips is totally empty. I did raid my stash for corner squares. And I also used some of the fabric strips gifted to me from my new Alaska friend, Diane.
So total amount of string blocks made this week is 70!!!
45 browns
15 greens
10 yellows
All are 8 1/2". I used this size because of the size of my phone book pages. I can always cut them down to another size. But it would be very hard to make them bigger! HA!
I cannot wait to get Bonnie Hunter's newest book entitled String Fling.
It is due out in July 2012.

This is all that is left of my scrap strings. And these are the thicker ones. I know it is tempting to use thicker cut strips to get the sewing over faster. But believe me you want a good amount of really slender strips to add variety to your blocks. Most of my blocks have 17 or more strips per block.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Stringfully amazing Subee! It's so tempting to jump on board with you.....string blocks are an excellent way to do some mindless sewing. And heaven knows I could use a mindless task right now :D

Wonderful inspiration!

Janet O. said...

You are so stinkin' productive--frugal--organized. I just sit in awe when I read your posts. : )

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Wow that is great! I really want to make a string quilt but the thought of going through my scrap bins gives me hives. LOL*

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

They look beautiful and going with the size that your telephone book pages were was smart! I'm with you, string blocks are so much fun to make!

Teresa in Music City said...

Ah you are amazing Subee! I love string blocks, and I am also anxiously awaiting Bonnie's book! I'm planning to start on Talkin Turkey right away :*)

Cyn said...

love love LOVE your string blocks. I have a thing for strings, too. They are so pretty!

Kim said...

Ditto what Janet said.....I am in awe of your productivity too.

Happy Sewing